Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF)
(QRN – 601/4888/3)
The Universal Training Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF) is a competency based qualification for personal trainers. The qualification is aimed at exercise instructors who are capable of planning, delivering and evaluating physical activity programmes independently and without direct supervision.
The Universal Training Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF) is at level 3 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework. It also provides access onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at level 3.
In order to achieve this qualification, learners must complete the following 9 mandatory units. If the learner wishes to then they can also complete the additional optional unit.
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with clients
- Motivate clients to maintain long term adherence to exercise and physical activity
- Deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a personal training programme
- Evaluate exercise and physical activity programmes
- Apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
- Plan, market and sell services
The Level 3 NVQ Diploma in in Personal Training (RQF) is a work based qualification accredited on the Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF).
The RQF framework gives learners the opportunity to get the qualifications they need, in a way that suits them. RQFqualifications are designed with the help of employers so learners can be assured that they’re gaining skills that employers are looking for.
- Recognises smaller steps of learning and enables learners to build up qualifications bit by bit
- Helps learners achieve skills and qualifications that meet industry needs
- Enables work-based training to be nationally recognised.
Learner Entry Requirements
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended
- The qualification requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication at level 2
If there are larger and/or smaller versions of this qualification at the same level why should a learner take this particular one?
The Universal Training Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF) is a larger version the Universal Training Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training. Choosing between to the two qualifications depends entirely on the learner’s circumstances. If the learner is currently working in the sport leisure and recreation sector as a personal trainer then the preferable qualification to take is the Universal Training Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF) as this is a work based competence qualification. If the learner is looking to gain employment in the sector as a personal trainer, then the Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training is the best option as it’s a knowledge based qualification that can be achieved without the need to be working in the role.
On achievement of the Universal Training Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training (RQF) learners could move into becoming a specialist exercise instructor or a club/centre manager.
Qualification Progression Routes
Learners wishing to progress from this qualification can undertake the following qualifications or any qualification at level 3 within the sector:
- Level 4 NVQ in Sport and Active Leisure
- Level 3 Diploma in Leisure Management
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness
- Multiple ADD-ONS such as:
- Kettlebell Award
- Mixed Martial Arts for Fitness Award
- Suspension Training Award
- Group Cycling Award
- Olympic Weightlifting Award
The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) have provided a letter of recognition for the qualification indicating that the qualification is fit for purpose in terms of work based learning and progression within the health and fitness sector and is deemed a specialist category on their professional register.
All resources will be made available upon course purchase. These include:
- A full online guide, a companion of sorts.
- Downloadable Manuals for Level 2 and Level 3 components
- Online workbooks
- Downloadable workbooks
- Online Videos for each module/unit
- A full (Exclusive to Universal Training Students) additional online resource area
- In depth Anatomy & Physiology Videos
- In Depth Flexibility Manual
- Revision Notes
- Mock Assessments
- Public domain tutorials for revising
- Research papers
- Example workout plans